|Degree||Ph.D. (Economics), Stanford University|
|Specialty||Development Economics, Industrial Policy|
|Current Research Interests||Comparative study of industrial policy in Asia and Africa, development experience of East Asia, industrial policy dialogue with the governments of Vietnam and Ethiopia|
- Professional Career
1987 Economist, Research and Middle Eastern Departments, International Monetary Fund
1991 Associate Professor, Institute of Socio-Economic Planning, Tsukuba University
1996 Professor, Graduate School of Policy Science (GSPS), Saitama University
1997 Professor, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies (GRIPS) (current)
- Selected publications
1. Kokusai Tsuka Taisei to Keizai Antei (International Monetary Systems and Economic Stability), Toyo Keizai Shimposha (1991). [Japanese] [Mainichi Shimbun Economist Award]
2. (With Izumi Ohno) IMF and World Bank: An Insiders’ View of the Development Institutions, Nihon Hyoronsha (1993). [Japanese]
3. Shijo Iko Senryaku: Shin Keizai Taisei no Sozo to Nihon no Chiteki Shien (Strategy for Adopting the Market Economy: Creation of a New Economic System and Japan’s Intellectual Contribution), Yuhikaku (1996). [Japanese] [Mainichi Shimbun Asia Study Association: Asia-Pacific Special Award]
4. (With Ronald I. McKinnon) Dollar and Yen: Resolving Economic Conflict between the United States and Japan, MIT Press (1997).
5. (Co-editing with Izumi Ohno) Japanese Views on Economic Development: Diverse Paths to the Market, London: Routledge (1998).
6. Tojokoku no Globalization: Jiritsuteki Hatten wa Kanoka (Globalization of Developing Countries: Is Autonomous Development Possible?) Toyo Keizai Shimposha (2000). [Japanese] [Suntory Prize for Critical Sciences and Humanities / Osaragi Jiro Award for Critical Works]
7. (Co-editing with Nguyen Van Thuong) Improving Industrial Policy Formulation, Hanoi: Publishing House of Political Theory (March 2005).
8. “Avoiding the Middle-income Trap: Renovating Industrial Policy Formulation in Vietnam,” ASEAN Economic Bulletin, Vol.26, No.1, pp.25-43, Institute of Southeast Asian Studies (April 2009).
9. (With Junji Banno) "The Flexible Structure of Politics in Meiji Japan", Developmental Leadership Program Research Paper, No.7 (April 2010).
10. “New Macroeconomic Challenge for Emerging Economies,” Japan Spotlight, pp.19-21 (March/
11. (With Izumi Ohno) “Dynamic Capacity Development : What Africa Can Learn from Industrial Policy Formulation in East Asia", chapter 7, A. Norman, K. Botchwey, H. Stein & J. E. Stiglitz eds., Good Growth and Governance in Africa : Rethinking Development Strategies, Oxford University Press (March 2012).
12. (Editor) An Approaching Middle Income Trap: How Vietnam Can Escape It, Hanoi: Transport Publishing House (2014).
13. Learning to Industrialize: From Given Growth to Policy-aided Value Creation, Paperback Edition, Routledge (2014).
14. (Co-editing with Izumi Ohno) Eastern and Western Ideas for African Growth: Diversity and complementarity in development aid, Paperback Edition, Routledge (2015).
15. The History of Japanese Economic Development: Origins of Private Dynamism and Policy Competence, Routledge (2018).
16. (With Izumi Ohno) “A Japanese Perspective on Ethiopia’s Transformation,”chapter 47, F. Cheru, C. Cramer & A. Oqubay, eds., The Oxford Handbook of the Ethiopian Economy, Oxford University Press (2018).
17. (Co-editing with Arkebe Oqubay) How Nations Learn: Technological Learning, Industrial Policy, and Catch-up, Oxford University Press (2019).
18. “Meiji Japan: Progressive Learning of Western Technology,” chapter 5, A. Oqubay & K. Ohno eds., How Nations Learn: Technological Learning, Industrial Policy, and Catch-up, Oxford University Press (2019).
19. (With Policy Studies Institute) Ethiopia Productivity Report (2020).
20. (With Nguyen Duc Thanh at al.) Viet Nam Productivity Report: Identifying Growth Challenges and Exploring a Way Forward (2021).
1992 Mainichi Shimbun Economist Award
1997 Mainichi Shimbun Asia Study Association Asia-Pacific Special Award
2001 Suntory Prize for Social Sciences and Humanities
2001 Osaragi Jiro Award for Critical Works
2011 Medal for Educational Merit by the Minister of Education and Training, the Socialist Republic of Vietnam
2012 Letter of Appreciation for Global Contribution and Publicizing Japan, Cabinet Secretariat, the Government of Japan
2016 Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) President Award for Ethiopia-Japan Industrial Policy Dialogue (with Izumi Ohno)
2017 Friendship Medal conferred by President Tran Dai Quang of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam
2018 Minister of Foreign Affairs Award for Contribution to Japan-Vietnam Economic Cooperation
- Social contributions
1995-2001 Co-leader of the Study Team of the “Economic Development Policy in the Transition toward a Market-oriented Economy in the Social Republic of Viet Nam” (Ishikawa Project), Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA)
2000-2003 Co-leader of National Economics University (NEU) – Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) Joint Research Project, Hanoi
2001-2002 Leader of the Committee on the Asia Dynamism, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI)
2002 Member of the Committee on the Development Effectiveness of Yen Loan, Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC)
2002-2005 Co-leader of the reviewing team of Japan's ODA Strategy for Vietnam, Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA)
2002-2006 Member of the Board of ODA Comprehensive Strategies, MOFA
1998-2001 Member of the Committee to Review the Policy of the International Monetary Fund, Japan Center for International Finance (JCIF)
2003-2008 Guest researcher of the Civil Society, the State and Culture in Comparative Perspective Special Research Project, University of Tsukuba
2004-2012 Director of the Vietnam Development Forum (VDF), Hanoi
2005-2008 Research leader of the 21st Century Center of Excellence (COE) Program, GRIPS
2008-present Leader, Ethiopia-Japan Industrial Policy Dialogue with Prime Minister Meles Zenawi and Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn, by GRIPS and JICA
2008-2012 Researcher of the Global COE Program, GRIPS
2008 Member of the Investigative Commission on Embodiment of Contribution to African Growth, African Growth Initiative
2008, 2011-2012 Policy research and dialogue in Mozambique, in cooperation with JBIC, JICA & NEXCO West
2008-present Leader of Ethiopia-Japan Industrial Policy Dialogue, JICA
2008-2010 Advisor to Ambassador Mitsuo Sakaba on Supporting Industry Development Action Plan in Vietnam
2010 Member of the Group for Renovating Japanese ODA
2010- Third country policy research for Ethiopia-Japan Industrial Policy Dialogue: Singapore, Korea, Tanzania (2010); Taiwan (2011); India, Mauritius, Ghana (2012); Thailand, Malaysia (2013); Indonesia, Rwanda (2014); Thailand, Cambodia (2015); Sri Lanka (2017); Kenya (2018); Djibouti, Myanmar (2019)
2010-2013 Advisor to Ambassador Yasuaki Tanizaki on Vietnam Industrialization Strategy initiative
2015-2017 Advisor and policy dialogue leader to JICA Vietnam on Province Based Economic Growth (PBEG) initiative in Ha Nam Province and Ba Ria-Vung Tau Province
2016-2020 Director, Vietnam Japan Productivity Promotion (VJPP), Initiative under Vietnam Economic Policy Research (VEPR), Vietnam National University (VNU), Hanoi
2016 Research visit and policy discussion with South African automotive policy officials at the request of the Japanese embassy and JICA in South Africa in Pretoria, Johannesburg, Durban and Cape Town.
2016 Lecture series at Uzbekistan ministries and universities invited by the Uzbekistan Academy of Public Administration on the occasion of publication of the Russian edition of my Economic Development of Japan, Tashkent and Samarkand.
2017-present Editorial Board member of the Vietnam Social Sciences Review published by the Vietnam Academy of Social Sciences (VASS).
2017 Academic leader, Japan-Vietnam Productivity Cooperation Project of the Prime Minister’s Economic Advisory Council, Vietnam National University, Japanese Embassy and the METI
2018 Inviting officials of Ethiopia’s Metal Industries Development Institute for policy formulation research, Tokyo, Saitama, Tochigi, Osaka and Hyogo
2020-present Advisor, Viet Nam Center for Economic and Strategic Studies (VESS), Hanoi
- Media Response
Industrial policies of Japan, Asia and Africa
- e-mail: kohno
*Please add”@grips.ac.jp” to send a message.