Before You Apply
For the details of each program, go to Degree Programs.
For information about funding including scholarships, go to Scholarships / Tuition and Fees.
For the details of each scholarship provider, see Scholarship Eligibility and Details chart.
For deadlines, see Application Deadlines by Program.
Master’s Programs and Five-year Ph.D. Programs
A bachelor’s degree or its equivalent
Three-year Ph.D. Programs
A master’s degree or its equivalent
Online Application (directly to GRIPS)
Online applications for 2022-2023 admission are now open.
To apply for any of the following programs, download our Online Application Guide 2022-2023 and follow the 3 steps listed below.
- One-year Master‘s Program of Public Policy (MP1)
- Two-year Master’s Program of Public Policy (MP2)
- Macroeconomic Policy Program (MEP) (One year Program or Two year Program) for externally funded or self-financed applicants only
- Public Finance Program (PF)
- Maritime Safety and Security Policy Program (MSP) for externally funded or self-financed international applicants only
Five-year Ph.D. Program (minimum 3 years)
- Policy Analysis Program (PA)
Three-year Ph.D. Programs
- GRIPS Global Governance Program (G-cube)
- Science, Technology and Innovation Policy Program (STI)
Step 0 Online Application Guide
Download our Online Application Guide 2022-2023 and read it carefully.
Step 1 Online Entry Form
Fill out and submit the Online Entry Form. The Admissions Office will send you an ID and a password by e-mail.
Step 2 Online Application Form
Use your ID and password to access GRIPS’ portal, G-way. Complete and submit the Online Application Form.
Step 3 Supporting documents
Send the required supporting documents to the Admissions Office by post.
Paper-based Application (directly to GRIPS)
To apply for any of the following programs, download the application guide and form below
- Economics, Planning and Public Policy Program (EPP): PDF Word （2021-2022 closed）
- Disaster Management Program – Ph.D. (DM): PDF Word （2021-2022 closed）
Apply through the sponsoring organization
Contact the relevant sponsoring organization for further details.
|Young Leaders Program (YLP)||Embassy of Japan|
|Macroeconomic Policy Program (MEP)||IMF Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific|
|Disaster Management Policy Program (DMP)||JICA Office or Embassy of Japan|
|Maritime Safety and Security Policy Program (MSP)|
NOTE: GRIPS no longer accepts applications to the following three-year Ph.D. programs:
• Public Policy Program (PP)
• Security and International Studies Program (SISP)
• State Building and Economic Development Program (SBED)