Before You Apply
For the details of each program, go to Degree Programs.
For information about funding including scholarships, go to Scholarships / Tuition and Fees.
For the details of each scholarship provider, see Scholarship Eligibility and Details chart.
For deadlines, see Application Deadlines by Program.
Master’s Programs and Five-year Ph.D. Programs
A bachelor’s degree or its equivalent
Three-year Ph.D. Programs
A master’s degree or its equivalent
Online Application (directly to GRIPS)
Online applications for 2022-2023 admission are now open.
To apply for any of the following programs, download our Online Application Guide 2022-2023 and follow the 3 steps listed below.
- One-year Master‘s Program of Public Policy (MP1)
- Two-year Master’s Program of Public Policy (MP2)
- Macroeconomic Policy Program (MEP) (One year Program or Two year Program) for externally funded or self-financed applicants only
- Public Finance Program (PF)
- Maritime Safety and Security Policy Program (MSP) for externally funded or self-financed international applicants only
Five-year Ph.D. Program (minimum 3 years)
- Policy Analysis Program (PA)
Three-year Ph.D. Programs
- GRIPS Global Governance Program (G-cube)
- Science, Technology and Innovation Policy Program (STI)
Step 0 Online Application Guide
Download our Online Application Guide 2022-2023 and read it carefully.
Step 1 Online Entry Form
Fill out and submit the Online Entry Form. The Admissions Office will send you an ID and a password by e-mail.
Step 2 Online Application Form
Use your ID and password to access GRIPS’ portal, G-way. Complete and submit the Online Application Form.
Step 3 Supporting documents
Send the required supporting documents to the Admissions Office by post.
Paper-based Application (directly to GRIPS)
To apply for any of the following programs, download the application guide and form below
- Economics, Planning and Public Policy Program (EPP): PDF Word (2022-2023 now open)
- Disaster Management Program – Ph.D. (DM): PDF Word （2022-2023 now open）
Apply through the sponsoring organization
Contact the relevant sponsoring organization for further details.
|Young Leaders Program (YLP)||Embassy of Japan|
|Macroeconomic Policy Program (MEP)||IMF Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific|
|Disaster Management Policy Program (DMP)||JICA Office or Embassy of Japan|
|Maritime Safety and Security Policy Program (MSP)|
Application required BOTH to the sponsoring organization and directly online to GRIPS
Attention: candidates who wish to apply for any of MP1/2, MEP, PA, G-cube or STI with a JICA scholarship
|One-year Master’s Program of Public Policy (MP1) / Two-year Master’s Program of Public Policy (MP2)||
|Macroeconomic Policy Program (MEP)|
|Policy Analysis Program (PA)|
|GRIPS Global Governance Program (G-cube)|
|Science, Technology and Innovation Policy Program (STI)|
Note: Candidates who wish to apply for any of MP1/2, MEP, PA G-cube, or STI with a JICA scholarship should apply BOTH to their local JICA office AND directly online to GRIPS, before the deadlines for those two applications.
Please contact the JICA office in your country well in advance and find out their deadline, since the JICA deadline is often earlier than that of GRIPS. (For example, last year the JICA deadline was in October.) For contact information for the JICA office in your country, see https://www.jica.go.jp/english/countries/index.html
Note: GRIPS no longer accepts applications to the following three-year Ph.D. programs:
• Public Policy Program (PP)
• Security and International Studies Program (SISP)
• State Building and Economic Development Program (SBED)