|Position||Deputy Director of Admissions Office; Director of One-year Master's Program of Public Policy (MP1) and Two-year Master's Program of Public Policy (MP2); Professor|
|Degree||Ph.D. in Economics, University of Tokyo|
|Specialty||Energy, Environment, Industrial Organization|
|Current Research Interests||Policy Issues in Energy, Environment, Industrial Organization|
- Professional Career
2003-2007 Assistant Professor, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies (GRIPS)
2007-2013 Associate Professor, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies (GRIPS)
2004-2008 Faculty Fellow, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI)
2008-2009 Visiting Scholar, Johns Hopkins University, Whiting School of Engineering
2009-2010 Visiting Scholar, University of California, Berkeley, Goldman School of Public Policy
2013-present Professor, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies (GRIPS)
2015-2017 Faculty Fellow, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI)
- Selected publications
[Recent articles (since 2012)]
* Viskovic, V., Y. Chen, A. S. Siddiqui, and M. Tanaka “Economic and Environmental Consequences of Market Power in the South-East Europe Regional Electricity Market,” Energy Journal, forthcoming.
* Yao, Y., and M. Tanaka “Price-Quality Trade-Off in Procurement Auctions with an Uncertain Quality Threshold,” Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, forthcoming.
* Bobde, S. M., and M. Tanaka (2020) “Structural Reforms and Technical Efficiency in the Indian Electricity Distribution Sector,” Asia-Pacific Journal of Operational Research, 37(2): 2050004.
* Francisco, K. A., and M. Tanaka (2020) “The Philippines’ Roll-On/Roll-Off Policy and Its Impact on Household Income,” Journal of Development Studies, 56(5): 984-998.
* Francisco, K. A., and M. Tanaka (2019) “Does Public Infrastructure Affect Human Capital? The Effect of Improved Transport Connectivity on Children’s Education in the Philippines,” Economics of Education Review, 73: 101927.
* Viskovic, V., Y. Chen, A. S. Siddiqui, and M. Tanaka (2019) “Regional Carbon Policies in an Interconnected Power System: How Expanded Coverage Could Exacerbate Emission Leakage,” Energy Policy, 134: 110914.
* Siddiqui, A. S., M. Tanaka, and Y. Chen (2019) “Sustainable Transmission Planning in Imperfectly Competitive Electricity Industries: Balancing Economic Efficiency and Environmental Outcomes,” European Journal of Operational Research, 275(1): 208-223.
* Chen, Y., M. Tanaka, and A. S. Siddiqui (2018) “Market Power with Tradable Performance-Based CO2 Emission Standards in the Electricity Sector,” Energy Journal, 39(6): 121-145.
* Zhang, D., Y. Chen, and M. Tanaka (2018) “On the Effectiveness of Tradable Performance-based Standards,” Energy Economics, 74: 456-469.
* Chen, Y., and M. Tanaka (2018) “Permit Banking in Emission Trading: Competition, Arbitrage, and Linkage,” Energy Economics, 71: 70-82.
* Bobde, S. M., and M. Tanaka (2018) “Efficiency Evaluation of Electricity Distribution Utilities in India: A Two-stage DEA with Bootstrap Estimation,” Journal of the Operational Research Society, 69(9): 1423-1434.
* Ito, K., T. Ida, and M. Tanaka (2018) “Moral Suasion and Economic Incentives: Field Experimental Evidence from Energy Demand,” American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, 10(1): 240-267.
* Endo, M., K. Asami, R. Kutsuzawa, S. Yamamoto, M. Tanaka, H. Takeshita, E. Oki, and N. Yamanaka (2017) “Distributed Real-Time Power Cooperation Algorithm for Residences Based on Local Information in Smart Grid,” Journal of Energy Engineering, 143(3): F4016011.
* Ida, T., K. Murakami, and M. Tanaka (2016) “Electricity Demand Response in Japan: Experimental Evidence from a Residential Photovoltaic Power-Generation System,” Economics of Energy & Environmental Policy, 5(1): 73-88.
* Siddiqui, A. S., M. Tanaka, and Y. Chen (2016) “Are Targets for Renewable Portfolio Standards Too Low? The Impact of Market Structure on Energy Policy,” European Journal of Operational Research, 250(1): 328-341.
* Yao, Y., and M. Tanaka (2016) “Price Offers of Pharmaceutical Procurement in China: Evidence from Guangdong Province,” European Journal of Health Economics, 17(5): 563-575.
* Hailu, K. B., and M. Tanaka (2015) “A ‘True’ Random Effects Stochastic Frontier Analysis for Technical Efficiency and Heterogeneity: Evidence from Manufacturing Firms in Ethiopia,” Economic Modelling, 50: 179-192.
* Murakami, K., T. Ida, M. Tanaka, and L. S. Friedman (2015) “Consumers' Willingness to Pay for Renewable and Nuclear Energy: A Comparative Analysis between the US and Japan,” Energy Economics, 50: 178-189.
* Tanaka, M., T. Ida, K. Murakami, and L. S. Friedman (2014) “Consumers' Willingness to Pay for Alternative Fuel Vehicles: A Comparative Discrete Choice Analysis between the US and Japan,” Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, 70: 194-209.
* Ida, T., K. Murakami, and M. Tanaka (2014) “A Stated Preference Analysis of Smart Meters, Photovoltaic Generation, and Electric Vehicles in Japan: Implications for Penetration and GHG Reduction,” Energy Research & Social Science, 2: 75-89.
* Tanaka, M., and T. Ida (2013) “Voluntary Electricity Conservation of Households after the Great East Japan Earthquake: A Stated Preference Analysis,” Energy Economics, 39: 296-304.
* Tanaka, M., and Y. Chen (2013) “Market Power in Renewable Portfolio Standards,” Energy Economics, 39: 187-196.
* Hosoe, N., and M. Tanaka (2012) “Divestiture of TEPCO for Reparation for the Fukushima Nuclear Accident: A Path to Vertical Unbundling,” Energy Policy, 51: 207-212.
* Tanaka, M., and Y. Chen (2012) “Emissions Trading in Forward and Spot Markets for Electricity,” Energy Journal 33(2): 195-221.
* Tanaka, M., and Y. Chen (2012) “Market Power in Emissions Trading: Strategically Manipulating Permit Price through Fringe Firms,” Applied Energy, 96: 203-211.
* Tanaka, M. (2012) “Multi-Sector Model of Tradable Emission Permits,” Environmental and Resource Economics, 51(1): 61-77.
[Books and edited books]
* Chen, Y., A. S. Siddiqui, and M. Tanaka (2020) Analysis of Environmental Policy in the Power Sector: Equilibrium Methods and Bi-Level Modeling, International Series in Operations Research & Management Science, Springer International Publishing.
* Tanaka, M., R. Takashima, and S. Toriumi (2018) Mathematical Models for Energy Risk Management (in Japanese), Tokyo, Japan: Asakura Publishing Co., Ltd.
* Ida, T., M. Tanaka, and K. Ito (2017) Smart Grid Economics (in Japanese), Tokyo, Japan: Yuhikaku Publishing Co., Ltd.
* Hatta, T., and M. Tanaka, Eds. (2007) The Economics of Regulatory Reform: A Case Study of Electric Power Industry (in Japanese), Tokyo, Japan: Nikkei Publishing Inc.
* Hatta, T., and M. Tanaka, Eds. (2004) Liberalizing Electricity Markets: An Economic Analysis (in Japanese), Tokyo, Japan: Toyo Keizai Inc
- Social contribution
* Editor, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems (2012-2019)
* Editorial Board, Journal of Modern Power Systems and Clean Energy (2013-2016)
* Guest Editor, Journal of Energy Engineering
* Government Committees (Cabinet Office, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, Ministry of the Environment, etc)
*Please add”grips.ac.jp” to send a message.