|Position||Deputy Director of Admissions Office; Director of One-year Master's Program of Public Policy (MP1) and Two-year Master's Program of Public Policy (MP2); Professor|
|Degree||Ph.D. in Economics, University of Tokyo|
|Specialty||Energy, Environment, Industrial Organization|
|Current Research Interests||Policy Issues in Energy, Environment, Industrial Organization|
- Professional Career
2003 Assistant Professor, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies (GRIPS)
2004 Faculty Fellow, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI)
2007 Associate Professor, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies (GRIPS)
2008 Visiting Scholar, Johns Hopkins University, Whiting School of Engineering
2009 Visiting Scholar, University of California, Berkeley, Goldman School of Public Policy
2013 Professor, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies (GRIPS)
2015 Faculty Fellow, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI)
- Selected publications
[Recent articles (since 2012)]
* Bobde, S. M., and M. Tanaka “Structural Reforms and Technical Efficiency in the Indian Electricity Distribution Sector,” Asia-Pacific Journal of Operational Research, forthcoming.
* Francisco, K. A., and M. Tanaka “The Philippines’ Roll-On/Roll-Off Policy and Its Impact on Household Income,” Journal of Development Studies, forthcoming.
* Francisco, K. A., and M. Tanaka (2019) “Does Public Infrastructure Affect Human Capital? The Effect of Improved Transport Connectivity on Children’s Education in the Philippines,” Economics of Education Review, 73: forthcoming.
* Viskovic, V., Y. Chen, A. S. Siddiqui, and M. Tanaka (2019) “Regional Carbon Policies in an Interconnected Power System: How Expanded Coverage Could Exacerbate Emission Leakage,” Energy Policy, 134: forthcoming.
* Siddiqui, A. S., M. Tanaka, and Y. Chen (2019) “Sustainable Transmission Planning in Imperfectly Competitive Electricity Industries: Balancing Economic Efficiency and Environmental Outcomes,” European Journal of Operational Research, 275(1): 208-223.
* Chen, Y., M. Tanaka, and A. S. Siddiqui (2018) “Market Power with Tradable Performance-Based CO2 Emission Standards in the Electricity Sector,” Energy Journal, 39(6): 121-145.
* Zhang, D., Y. Chen, and M. Tanaka (2018) “On the Effectiveness of Tradable Performance-based Standards,” Energy Economics, 74: 456-469.
* Chen, Y., and M. Tanaka (2018) “Permit Banking in Emission Trading: Competition, Arbitrage, and Linkage,” Energy Economics, 71: 70-82.
* Bobde, S. M., and M. Tanaka (2018) “Efficiency Evaluation of Electricity Distribution Utilities in India: A Two-stage DEA with Bootstrap Estimation,” Journal of the Operational Research Society, 69(9): 1423-1434.
* Ito, K., T. Ida, and M. Tanaka (2018) “Moral Suasion and Economic Incentives: Field Experimental Evidence from Energy Demand,” American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, 10(1): 240-267.
* Endo, M., K. Asami, R. Kutsuzawa, S. Yamamoto, M. Tanaka, H. Takeshita, E. Oki, and N. Yamanaka (2017) “Distributed Real-Time Power Cooperation Algorithm for Residences Based on Local Information in Smart Grid,” Journal of Energy Engineering, 143(3).
* Ida, T., K. Murakami, and M. Tanaka (2016) “Electricity Demand Response in Japan: Experimental Evidence from a Residential Photovoltaic Power-Generation System,” Economics of Energy & Environmental Policy, 5(1): 73-88.
* Siddiqui, A., M. Tanaka, and Y. Chen (2016) “Are Targets for Renewable Portfolio Standards Too Low? The Impact of Market Structure on Energy Policy,” European Journal of Operational Research, 250(1): 328-341.
* Yao, Y., and M. Tanaka (2016) “Price Offers of Pharmaceutical Procurement in China: Evidence from Guangdong Province,” European Journal of Health Economics, 17(5): 563-575.
* Hailu, K. B., and M. Tanaka (2015) “A ‘True’ Random Effects Stochastic Frontier Analysis for Technical Efficiency and Heterogeneity: Evidence from Manufacturing Firms in Ethiopia,” Economic Modelling, 50: 179-192.
* Murakami, K., T. Ida, M. Tanaka, and L. S. Friedman (2015) “Consumers' Willingness to Pay for Renewable and Nuclear Energy: A Comparative Analysis between the US and Japan,” Energy Economics, 50: 178-189.
* Tanaka, M., T. Ida, K. Murakami, and L. S. Friedman (2014) “Consumers' Willingness to Pay for Alternative Fuel Vehicles: A Comparative Discrete Choice Analysis between the US and Japan,” Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, 70: 194-209.
* Ida, T., K. Murakami, and M. Tanaka (2014) “A Stated Preference Analysis of Smart Meters, Photovoltaic Generation, and Electric Vehicles in Japan: Implications for Penetration and GHG Reduction,” Energy Research & Social Science, 2: 75-89.
* Tanaka, M., and T. Ida (2013) “Voluntary Electricity Conservation of Households after the Great East Japan Earthquake: A Stated Preference Analysis,” Energy Economics, 39: 296-304.
* Tanaka, M., and Y. Chen (2013) “Market Power in Renewable Portfolio Standards,” Energy Economics, 39: 187-196.
* Hosoe, N., and M. Tanaka (2012) “Divestiture of TEPCO for Reparation for the Fukushima Nuclear Accident: A Path to Vertical Unbundling,” Energy Policy, 51: 207-212.
* Tanaka, M., and Y. Chen (2012) “Emissions Trading in Forward and Spot Markets for Electricity,” Energy Journal 33(2): 195-221.
* Tanaka, M., and Y. Chen (2012) “Market Power in Emissions Trading: Strategically Manipulating Permit Price through Fringe Firms,” Applied Energy, 96: 203-211.
* Tanaka, M. (2012) “Multi-Sector Model of Tradable Emission Permits,” Environmental and Resource Economics, 51(1): 61-77.
[Books and edited books]
* Tanaka, M., R. Takashima, and S. Toriumi (2018) Mathematical Models for Energy Risk Management (in Japanese), Tokyo, Japan: Asakura Publishing Co., Ltd.
* Ida, T., M. Tanaka, and K. Ito (2017) Smart Grid Economics (in Japanese), Tokyo, Japan: Yuhikaku Publishing Co., Ltd.
* Hatta, T., and M. Tanaka, Eds. (2007) The Economics of Regulatory Reform: A Case Study of Electric Power Industry (in Japanese), Tokyo, Japan: Nikkei Publishing Inc.
* Hatta, T., and M. Tanaka, Eds. (2004) Liberalizing Electricity Markets: An Economic Analysis (in Japanese), Tokyo, Japan: Toyo Keizai Inc
- Social contribution
* Editor, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems (2012-2019)
* Editorial Board, Journal of Modern Power Systems and Clean Energy (2013-2016)
* Guest Editor, Journal of Energy Engineering
* Government Committees (Cabinet Office, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, Ministry of the Environment, etc)
*Please add”grips.ac.jp” to send a message.